Summer is here and when the weather gets warm, everyone wants to enjoy a little fun in the sun. If your job or your leisure activities have you spending a lot of time out of doors, you might want to learn a few tips about beating the heat.
The home where I live is on a lake so we get a lot of cool breezes but the sun is still very hot especially between noon and 3.00 pm on those hot summer days.
Did you know that the sun is actually a star? It burns more than a million times hotter than what we feel. When its radiation reaches us it is manageable, but it can still do damage to our bodies.
The skin is not the only part of you that is affected, even though it is a large problem. Skin cancer is no laughing matter. Lots of time spent in the sun, especially without protection, can damage the inner as well as the outer layers of the largest organ of the body.
So, when you think about heading out in hot weather, take care to protect yourself and your family. Here are seven ways to protect yourself when the weather gets warm:
1. Wear light colored clothing – Dark colors absorb heat. You could be raising your temperature by several degrees before you even start any type of activity. Choose lightweight fabrics that breathe like cotton. Another option is breathable synthetics like fitness wear that is made to wick away the moisture from your body.
2. Wear sun protection – If you don’t want to block out all of the sun’s rays, then at least wear sunscreen. It will protect you from the more harmful ultraviolet rays. Try a formula that is waterproof so that when you sweat it won’t wash off.
3. Plan activities for certain times – Plan on going outdoors when the sun isn’t highest in the sky. That would be early in the morning, later in the afternoon, or in the evening after the sun has gone down.
4. Drink plenty of water – Hydration is very important anyway, but especially when the weather is warm. You lose water through your skin as sweat and through urination. The body can’t function as well when the fluid levels are low. Lack of water can lead to serious heat-related illnesses.
5. Use your air conditioning in the car – People think that running the air conditioning uses up a lot of gas. Truth be told, having the windows down for ventilation creates a drag that causes your car to use more gas than if the windows were up, and the air is actually cool.
6. Take a cool shower – When you come in, take a shower or a dip in the bath using tepid water. It can lower your body temperature, especially when you have been working hard outside.
7. Eat light – No one wants a heavy meal on their stomach when the temperature rises. Try sandwiches, fruits and vegetables. Lower your salt intake to prevent water retention and bloating.
Do you love to spend time out of doors after the winter thaw? If you do, take care to stay safe.
To your enjoyable summer,
Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory, Vol. 1 (Ziegfeld Follies / Till the Clouds Roll By / Three Little Words / Summer Stock / It’s Always Fair Weather)
publisher: Warner Home Video
sales rank: 10036
price: $7.99 (new), $8.20 (used)
Five classic musicals pop out of the vaults for the first time on DVD. All are worthwhile, but the box set includes all 5 and is a terrific bargain. Set contains: It’s Always Fair Weather, Summer Stock, Three Little Words, Till The Clouds Roll By, and Ziegfeld Follies.
Pedag Viva Summer (Vitality) Warm Weather Orthotic w/ Semi-Rigid Arch, Met & Heel Pad, US W9/EU39
sales rank: 124587
price: $9.99 (new)
Pedag Viva Summer: Viva Summer updates Pedag Vitality as Pedag’s orthotic foot support for all warm weather activities. Like Pedag Vitality, Viva Summer has an orthotic footbed with semi-rigid longitudinal arch and plantar support, metatarsal pad and heel cushion pad. Viva Summer helps with the prevention and relief of foot conditions as Metatarsalgia. Take viva Summer on vacation and business travel, cruising and hiking. Did you know that feet produce a shot glass full of sweat per day in normal weather? Viva Summer is ideal for warm weather because it is made with natural, absorbent, breathable fibers which keep your feet fresh and comfortable. Viva Summer uses nano sized silver ions. Viva Summer is gently hand washable. Viva Summer has been awarded the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) Seal of Acceptance for promoting foot health.