One of the primary reasons many people don’t go on a diet is because they like food. There’s a predominating myth that if you go on a diet the food you eat is going to taste like cardboard. The truth is it can taste like cardboard but it doesn’t have to. You can still cut back on fat and calories and eat like a queen.
Here are 20 simple and easy substitutions to help you enjoy your food and lose weight.
1. Swap whole milk for non-fat milk in your cereal, coffee or tea, cocoa, smoothies and for regular drinking. If you’re accustomed to whole milk, gradually reduce the fat content. Swap it for two percent. When that gallon is gone, buy one percent and then skim or fat free.
2. Snack on fruit and nuts instead of candy bars and chips. Apples, bananas and oranges are tasty. Try apple slices with a little cinnamon sprinkled on them, it’s divine!
3. Switch from white sandwich bread to whole wheat pitas or whole wheat wraps.
4. Snack on popcorn with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese instead of butter.
5. Drink sparkling seltzer water instead of soda or diet soda. You get the bubbles but no calories or chemicals.
6. Eat frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.
7. Make kale chips or sweet potato chips instead of buying potato chips.
8. Replace your sugary peanut butter with natural peanut butter.
9. Use light mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise – cut the calories in half and you don’t taste the difference.
10. Order brown rice with your Chinese takeout instead of white.
11. Order a cheese only pizza instead of pepperoni and only eat one slice.
12. Make your own salad dressings, use yogurt instead of mayonnaise or crème.
13. Use Greek yogurt on your baked potatoes instead of sour cream.
14. Spread fruit only jam on your toast instead of butter.
15. Poach your eggs instead of frying them.
16. Use cooking spray instead of butter to lubricate your pan.
17. Substitute apple sauce in your baking instead of oil.
18. Eat an English muffin instead of a bagel.
19. Add lettuce, tomato, and onion or avocado to your sandwiches instead of loading them up with condiments.
20. Add fruit to plain yogurt instead of buying fruit on the bottom yogurt.
These are just a few of the hundreds of ways you can enjoy food and still lose weight. Simple substitutions can make a huge difference.